ANNE C. WITKAVITCH, M.F.A. AnneWitkavitch@comcast.net
7 Ridgewood Drive 203.314.9358
Bethany, CT 06524 www.linkedin.com/in/annewitkavitch
Senior corporate communications leader with Fortune 100 executive experience in global, matrix organizations; demonstrated expertise in all areas of communications; blends pragmatic and idealist thinking to create integrated communication strategies and promote engagement; diverse experiences, in-depth knowledge and broad skill set deliver innovative and measurable results; trusted advisor to the C-suite and senior leaders.
- Translates complex information into simple, clear language
- Aligns messaging, plans and campaigns that connect business strategy, communications, leadership and brand value
- Manages integration and change communications: transformation, mergers & acquisitions, restructurings and outsourcing
- Assesses functional competencies to build collaborative teams
- Coaches leaders on communicating skills, style and delivery
AETNA, INC., Hartford, CT 2013-2015
Director, Internal Business Communications (September 2014 to April 2015)
Aligned internal communications processes across multiple lines of business and established standard messages for communicating across the organization.
- Collaborated on creation of vision statement and leadership goal messages that engaged employees and explained company’s strategy for leading health care industry transformation.
- Stepped in and successfully managed completion of a major survey application within tight deadline; achieved high standard of quality, which reflected well on business, reputation and work with high-demand client. Recognized with management award from Chief Culture and Diversity Officer.
- Conceptualized Culture, Diversity and Inclusion strategy; well received and allayed client concerns.
Director, Human Resources Communications (April 2013 to August 2014)
Built cohesive and strategic approach that improved communications within HR and across enterprise; partnered with Chief HR Officer and senior HR leaders on communications for M&A, talent, compensation, benefits, culture and diversity, and operations.
- Launched first-of-its-kind, employee private exchange benefits model during company’s annual enrollment.
- Led HR communications workstream for integrating Coventry Health Care, the biggest acquisition in company’s history; achieved fully integrated benefits, HR policies, processes and platforms within seven months. Selected for special compensation bonus.
- Supported executive communication needs for Chief HR Officer. Advised, prepared and coached senior HR leaders for internal and external speaking engagements; developed whitepapers and wrote chapter for thought leadership book.
ANNE W ASSOCIATES, Bethany, CT 2008-2013
Established strategic marketing and communications firm that helped clients strategize, prepare and deliver highly effective communications to most important audiences. Some highlighted work:
- Retained by highly visible senior executive; wrote speeches, investor updates and leadership presentations.
- Coached entrepreneurs and business leaders on goal setting, marketing plans, value propositions and storytelling.
- Designed and delivered customized training program for leaders at Fortune 50 financial services company.
- Created social media plans and content for several clients; thought leader for TravelingMom.com and Maria.Shriver.com.
- Edited whitepapers, technical guidebooks and articles for international quality organization; wrote trade articles.
- Spoke professionally on leadership, communications, change management, social media and networking.
THE HARTFORD FINANCIAL SERVICES GROUP, INC., Hartford, CT 2005-2007
Assistant Vice President, P&C Communications (April 2007 – December 2007)
Promoted to next tier executive level after two years; active participant on P&C Strategic Council.
- Collaborated with executive team to plan off-site leadership meeting that helped participants understand new operating model, and firmed commitment to accelerate its success.
- Conducted communications impact analysis initiated by P&C Strategic Council that resulted in a communications inventory portfolio and recommended approach for managing portfolio and ensured holistic view of all activities; formalized communicator roles within PC and established formal line of sight accountabilities.
Director, Property & Casualty Communications (February 2005 – March 2007)
Joined company in newly created strategic leadership role; transformed P&C communications from a tactical support function to a strategic business partner; active participant on senior leadership team; consulted with and advised COO and senior leaders on messaging, executive presentations, talking points and scripts.
- Implemented core competency model within six months, and quickly earned credibility from senior leaders.
- Established monthly operating forum that enabled collaboration and discussion among communicators to share best practices and align efforts around business priorities and goals.
- Collaborated with Chief Marketing Officer and Corporate Relations leaders to design and implement annual strategy planning process for defining goals, tactics and metrics.
- Developed disciplined cross-functional process and standardized templates for communications planning.
THE GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, Fairfield, CT 1996-2005
GE VENDOR FINANCIAL SERVICES, Danbury, CT
VP, Communications (July 2003-February 20015)
Promoted within GE to newly created role as head of global communications; managed executive, employee and marketing communications, media/PR, for rapidly growing financial services unit with $26B+ assets; active participant on executive team.
- As change leader, quickly repositioned traditional leasing business as front runner in integrated financial solutions following three consecutive acquisitions; translated new value proposition into dynamic presentation that successfully explained new business model to GE senior executives, regional sales leaders, customers and employees and was adapted a best practice within GE.
- Successfully developed and executed leadership meeting for 600 VFS leaders, which established critical messaging about new business model. Coached and advised senior leaders on presentations.
- Managed GE-wide re-branding to “Imagination at Work” and new GE Values rollout to global VFS offices.
- Created innovative online web chats, weekly updates and global employee broadcasts that connected global employees to senior leaders, increased dialogue and clarified vision and strategy.
GE INDUSTRIAL SYSTEMS, Plainville, CT
Manager, Communications and Public Affairs (August 1998-July 2003)
Appointed global communications leader for new $6B business formed by GE merger; advised, wrote and managed all CEO communications, including financial; managed media/PR; active participant on executive team; served on GE global volunteer board.
- Initiated several best practices company-wide, including live satellite broadcast town meetings, CEO web chats and virtual memory board in recognition of 9/11 anniversary.
- Managed crisis communication efforts for global impact events (9/11, Anthrax and SARS). Exemplary leadership regarding supplier issue recognized with management award.
- Played lead role on GE-Honeywell integration team; successfully transferred working knowledge acquired to several acquisitions that introduced new industries to GE.
GE ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTION & CONTROL, Plainville, CT
Manager, Communications and Public Affairs (November 1996-August 1998)
Hired as global communications leader for $2.5B business; supported CEO and senior leader communications, including financial; managed media/ PR.
- Created innovative, strategic ways to integrate emerging intranet and e-mail channels into global communications.
- Strategically managed ongoing restructuring communication plans for 100+ business sites, union and nonunion, that included media training, messaging development and proactive/reactive media relations.
- Led communications strategy for Six Sigma implementation and culture change.
- Managed GE community relations activities and supported public affairs for the greater Hartford region.
WESTERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY, Danbury, CT
Adjunct Faculty, Managerial and Professional Writing Courses, undergraduate and graduate (current)
Special Appointment, Assistant Professor (September 2009 – August 2011)
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Recipient, 2011 Clarion Award from the Association for Women in Communications
MASTER OF FINE ARTS, Creative and Professional Writing
Western Connecticut State University, Danbury, CT
BACHELOR OF ARTS, English
Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven, CT